What you can do to prepare if you want to major in voice:
You top priority should be building vocal and musical skills:
- Join choirs in school, places of worship, and the community.
- Get a private voice teacher who can guide you throughout your vocal development and help you prepare repertoire for pre screening recordings and auditions.
- Gain solo experience by participating in school or extracurricular musical theatre productions.
- Attend a summer voice program designed for high school students for further experience and training
- Take piano lessons to develop your basic knowledge of music theory
- Take dance or acting lessons – or join a community group which will be essential if you want to pursue a career in musical theatre.